Saturday, January 12, 2008

On food snobbery

Just for the record, I want to state: I am not a food snob. Here's why: food snobs turn their nose up at things. I do not. A food snob is someone who can only get pleasure out of the good stuff: gourmet food, locally sourced food, organic food, etc. I, on the other hand, have found heaven (occasionally) at the Taco Bell drive through. To a true food snob, the best hamburger would probably contain Kobe beef and foie gras with a black truffle aoli. For my money, nothing beats a double-double (animal style of course) or a Fatburger with the works. Not that I would turn my nose up at the Kobe-foie gras burger, but you know what I'm saying.

I am what I like to call a food lover. As long as it tastes good, or is at least not so bad I want to spit it out (which has happened a time or two), I'm game. Like everyone else, there are a few foods that I enjoy more than others (I'm kind of obsessed with beets right now), but I'll try almost anything once. Lucky for me, I live in Los Angeles, a town where you can pretty much eat cuisine from a different continent every night night of the week.

There are still plenty of foods I haven't tried. Organ meat, for one--brains, heart, sweetbreads, kidney, testicles (dare I say), and the rest. I'm interested in trying these things, but I feel as though I don't need to run out and taste them. I'm going to let them find me. Maybe that makes me a lazy food lover, but I've been called worse.

Basically, I just wanted to set the record straight. I am not a food snob. Just remember, the next time you're reading a post and I'm talking rapturously about some obscure ethnic dish, that I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night craving a seven layer burrito and a taco supreme.

No comments: